Saturday, November 05, 2005


The Wacky Worlds of "Doc" Taylor

Warp Speed (Baen Books, ISBN 0-7434-8862-8, 12/04. Cover artist David Mattingly) and The Quantum Connection (Baen Books, ISBN 0-7434-9896-8, 04/05. Cover artist David Mattingly) by Travis S. Taylor.

Warp Speed: Hey, didn't I read this last year? Sure did. However, I was feeling poorly one weekend and wanted some space opera to take my mind off the virus. While I'm in the middle of the David Weber Honor Harrington series, each of those entries is getting longer than the previous, and I wanted something that I thought I could finish in the weekend. I enjoyed this even more than the first time around. Perhaps it was because I read this after reading Sheffield's McAndrew stories, but I enjoyed the blend of odd characters, fantastic physics and technology and fast-paced action and thought to myself...hey, maybe this Taylor fella will become the new Sheffield! I've started on the second book of the series (The Quantum Connection) and hope to finish that soon.

(Addendum: October 2, 2008: Re-read it again!)

The Quantum Connection: The second installment in what I hope will be a long series. More of the same, but with lots of nifty new twists. Ever wonder about all those grey aliens running around? Learn the truth!

An excerpt of Warp Speed can be found here.

An excerpt of The Quantum Connection can be found here.

No comments: