Monday, March 20, 2006

Under the Hammer

David Drake's long-running series of stories of mercenary armored soldiers is being brought out by Night Shade Books in a nice hardcover edition. I picked up Volume 1 (trade edition, like I could afford either of the limited editions!) and have pre-ordered Volume 2 and Volume 3.

(2010 Update: I have, by now, purchased the ultra-deluxe-fanboi-limited editions with extra artwork and signed by various participants! I have substituted the Baen Books editions for the Night Shade Books editions formerly up here as the first two volumes appear to be out of print at Night Shade Books)



I've always been somewhat so-so on these stories. On the one hand, being an ex-tanker (and while I was a tanker), I liked them as they dealt with tanks. On the other hand, despite the contentions in Gene Wolfe's introduction (that only soldiers can write good military fiction), I thought the tales were lacking in some ways. Part of this is the fact that Drake seems to have just taken Vietnam-era technology, such as the M113 ACAV and "future-ized" it somewhat (without making improvements that were obvious even then!). I thought that Jerry Pournelle, with his tales of John Falkenberg, did a better job. (The top of the field belongs to both Joe Haldeman's The Forever War and Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers.)

Each of these books, on the other hand (and I include Drake's tales) show the positive qualities of leadership, training and other human factors over technology.

More as I read the tales. But it is interesting to see some of the spin-offs. A miniautures game and other games! And some beautiful miniatures!

Addendum (May 17, 2006): A site devoted to the miniatures game.

Addendum (July 1, 2007): As you'll see from subsequent re-postings, I've continued to read these tales. And my opinion of the tales has changed. Eventually I'll get it down into a posting!

No comments: