Friday, September 01, 2006


Squadron Actions

The Mauritius Command (Patrick O'Brian, ISBN 0-393-30762-X).

I read this one by accident. Really. I've been working on our deck/porch and the fence around our backyard. They all need a good scrubbing (to get off the mildew, mold, dirt, etc., plus the old water treatment). As a result, I've been smelling a lot of wet wood, varnish, etc. That leads me to thinking about wooden ships and iron men, which led me to picking up this volume (the next in my re-read of the series). A few days later...and I've read it!

"Lucky Jack" is given the command (and the temporary rank of Commodore) of a squadron and the instructions to take the islands of Mauritius. The French are harassing the ships carrying the treasures of India back to England, so the investors in those fleets are harassing the Admiralty to Do Something. Aubrey has to deal with a seasick government appointee, one captain who may be past his prime, one captain who is a bit of a dandy (as well as being a manic-depressive) and one captain who takes sea discipline to the point where he crew is ready to mutiny. Despite all this, he is on the verge of winning the day when the local admiral and the local general sail in to take over (thus snatching victory, as well as the prize money and glory, from Aubrey and his Army counterpart).

As with the other books in the series, the joy is in the characterization, the careful descriptions, the wonderful writing. I'll probably bring the next one or two volumes with me on vacation and will have more to report then.

No comments: