Monday, December 31, 2007

Reading: 2007

So how did the year pan out?

Books read: 97 books (as of 12/31/07).

Best books: Well, anything by Patrick O'Brian. But you probably knew that! So, let's break it down a bit more.

Best fiction (other than O'Brian): In the Ocean of Night by Gregory Benford. The works of Lois McMaster Bujold. Interestingly enough, other than the O'Brian's, all of these are re-reads. It was a year for visiting old friends, more or less. And...best, but strangest...my first read of a Edward Whittemore book.

Best non-fiction: House to House by SSG David Bellavia. A tough call here. I read a fair bit of non-fiction this year, but this one edged out the several military history works I read.

Short works: 441 short works read (as of 12/31/07).

Best fiction, short form: The works of Cordwainer Smith. I've read these many times over, but they continue to amaze me, move me, and I continue to find new things in them.

Best "new" discovery: David Drake. This was the year that I moved beyond Drake's Hammer's Slammers tales and pretty much ended up buying everything I could find by him. Highly recommended!

Worst reads of the year?

Fiction: Eric Nylund: HALO: First Strike and HALO: Ghosts of Onyx.

Non-fiction: Tony Horwitz: Blue Latitudes.

No comments: