Thursday, June 12, 2008

Your Government Inaction

So we filed our taxes...early and electronically to be efficient.

Weeks pass, and we get a letter from one of the states we filed with. They're unable to process our form...electronically and will need to do it...manually. Oh yes, they'll be unable to send us our refund electronically and will need to send a check.

O.K. Time passes. Months pass.

So I make a phone call, please Mr. Taxman, what's the status. First they would not talk to me as while it is a joint return, my wife is the one with the out-of-state income. Heh. Well, I sign the form, my name is on the form, my income is considered part of the joint income, I know her SSAN, I can recite endless facts on the form, I have the form in front of me...

So finally they admit (after I've been switched six time and given my name, her name, our respective SSAN's twelve times) they can talk to me. Can they answer my questions?

Not really. The return is still being reviewed. What's the status? It is nearing the end of the process. How much longer? They don't know, but if we don't hear from them in two weeks, call again!

Morons. Pocking morons. Maybe I should charge them the same rate of interest on my refund that they would charge me if I had owed money and hadn't sent it in yet?

No comments: