Thursday, October 02, 2008

Fred's Reading Report (September 2008)

Fall is in the air, and books and tales continue to be read. Where am I for the year?

71 books for the year-to-date. The biggest amount of reading has been the works of Patrick O'Brian. I've read most of the series before this, some books as many as six or eight times (now more). This is my first attempt to read the entire series, from end-to-end without stopping much between volumes.

I have to laugh during this reading as I recently read a description (on a SF discussion board) of the series as one in which people talk a lot but do nothing. Good gravy! Ships sink. People die. Characters grow. Babies are born. Music is played. Food is eaten. Nations fight each other. I have a feeling that the person making the remark must have had no experience with the books.

September's books were:

Dan Abnett: Two books in the Eisenhorn omnibus.

Greg Bear: The Forge of God (still owe SF Signal a review of this one!).

Ernle Bradford: Thermopylae: The Battle for the West.

Jere Longman: Among the Heroes.

Andre Norton: The Stars Are Ours!

Patrick O'Brian: H.M.S. Surprise, The Mauritius Command, Desolation Island.

Travis S. Taylor: Warp Speed.

Eric S. Trautmann: The Art of Halo: Creating a Virtual World.

Various: Halo: The Graphic Novel.

Jack Williamson: The Legion of Space.

527 short works to date. My goal was for 365 short works, one for each day of the year. I've gone way past that, obviously, and continue to increase the number. Watch the skies!

No comments: