Friday, March 20, 2009

The Last Battlestar

So tonight brings us (is already bringing us on the East Coast, unless you're "time-shifting" like me) the last episode of Battlestar Galactica (well, not really, since there will be a direct-to-DVD movie later this year or more, plus a spinoff series, maybe).

So, why am I time-shifting? Why am I not watching the episode as it happens, as I would have during the first seasons?

Maybe because the Cylons did not "have a plan". Maybe because the stars kept telling me science fiction was for geeks and losers and their show was not science fiction. Or maybe because the show could not decide what it was about (The Cylons are terorists! No, the humans are terrorists! Oh, frak it all, make everybody a Cylon and a terrorist!).

There was a lot of good to the show. They obviously tried to make the ship look "realistic" (compare the Galactica bridge to the much more impractical Pegasus bridge, for example), tried to be somewhat vaguely scientific (the way the Vipers flew and maneuvered, for example), brought us character's "with a past", etc.

But...I stopped watching when it seemed like there was no "plan", no direction, no guidance. And then when everybody and his frakking brother or sister was a Cylon in disguise (O.K., so I exaggerate. A bit.), I gave up.

I'll watch it on DVD (which I have, to Season 4.0) and tape (the rest of the final season) and probably will do the fanboi think and buy Season 4.5 and the spinoff movie(s) or series...but it could have been a lot...shinier...

No comments: