Monday, June 04, 2012

Hugo-A-Rama (Plus...Readings from the Campbell-Not-A-Hugo)

So decades upon decades of reading science fiction and fantasy and I finally get around to supporting the Hugos last year. What can I say? Any group that would have me as a member, I would not join?

Anyway, I'm a supporting member again this year. Which means I am not attending, but can vote. So blame me for who wins. Or not (if my candidate does not make it into the finals).

One thing that has become a plus in membership is that the various con committees and the publishing industry (and nominess in other categories) have figured out that, hey, maybe we should use this "internet" thing that has been around for a couple of decades. So various items, ranging from books to short stories, have been included in an electronic packet.

Good on them! Makes me want to participate more. Now if they'd all stop using Adobe Acrobat ("portable" my posterior) as their solo format (some do EPUB or MOBI).

2012 (published in 2011)'s lineup read so far include...

(Categories are not precise. I need to look up where short story vs. novella vs. novellete all break.)

Paul Cornell: The Copenhagen Interpretation (June) (short story).

Nancy Fulda: Movement: A Short Story About Autism in the Future (May) (short story)

Mira Grant: Feed (no, not nominated, but the sequel is, so I felt I had to read it first!) (June) (novel).

Mary Robinette Kowal: Kiss Me Twice (June) (short story).

Mur Lafferty: The Argument Against Louis Pasteur (June) (short story).

Ken Liu: The Paper Menagerie. The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary (June) (short stories).

Mike Resnick: The Homecoming (June) (short story).

John Scalzi: The Shadow War of the Night Dragons; Book I: The Dead City (June) (short story).

E. Lily Yu: The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees (May). The Transfiguration of Maria Luisa Orgeta. The Lamp at the Turning (June) (short stories).

No comments: