Sunday, December 23, 2012

Speaking in Tongues

Can a language be invented?

Well, sure, we do it all the time. Every language that we speak was invented, out of earlier fragments. Computer languages are invented all the time as well, but I don't know too many people that "speak" them.

Can a language be manufactured from scratch?

Sure, why not. I think it'd be hard to come up with one that did not have at least some baggage from previous languages. Then you've got the problem of creep, how would you keep other languages from "contaminating" the manufactured language?

Can a manufactured language succeed?

Aye, there's the rub. We've had invented languages in the past. Esperanto, for one. Some felt that if the world would speak Esperanto, we'd have peace as we'd all really understand each other. Today how many people have heard of Esperanto (let alone speak it)?

Can an artificial language lead to utopia? I don't think so, but people who try this are worthy of attention.

1 comment:

Bill Chapman said...

I speak Esperanto, and I recommend it to anyone interested in the world beyond their front door. Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in about fifteen countries over recent years. I recommend it to any traveller, as a way of making friendly local contacts.

No, it won't bring world peace, but I've found it very useful over the years.

Take a look at http://www.lernu.net